Anxiety is a normal human emotion and most of us experience some degree of anxiety in our lives as a normal reaction to stress. I myself have had these feelings during times of stress and it stinks to be honest. Using essential oils to help with these feelings can be a very valuable tool and honestly havening extra tools available gives me peace of mind. I have a lineup of tools that I use when these feelings rear their heads!. My kids also ask for their oils when they feel anxious, how cool is that?
There are several types of Anxiety disorders. I will be generally speaking of anxious feelings not related to any disorders. Feelings of anxiousness can arise as various different feelings such as:
- restless or “on edge”
- fatigued easily
- difficulty concentrating
- muscle tension
- sleep disturbances
- dry mouth
Aromatherapy can help to reduce those feelings of anxiousness, reduce muscle tension, improve sleep, improve concentration and more.
Here is a list of 15 essential oils that can help with Anxious feelings:
- Roman Chamomile
- Clary sage
- Ylang ylang
Gabriel Mojay is Founding Co-Chair of the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA) and author of Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit. He recommends the following essential oils for management of various symptoms of anxiety. I just love how he associates using specific oils based on your specific feelings.
- Lavender and Melissa oil cool the heart, and are considered the most comforting oils for the mind. These two oils are best used for anxiety in those who feel oppressed and suffocated.
- Marjay recommends blending lavender oil with cypress and neroli for anxieties that are expressed through compulsive behavior.
- Neroli is of benefit for those who cannot confront painful and disturbing emotions- feelings of shame or guilt. It helps one find peace of mind.
- Rose oil is for the abandoned feelings and for those who cannot, during times of emotional distress, bear being left alone.
- Geranium oil calms the nervous anxiety of those not by nature “emotional’ but tend to be “over-achievers” who have little time for their feelings.
- Vetiver helps to restore a sense of grounded stability in those who feel anxious and “disembodied”.
- Jasmine oil combines a calming effect with an uplifting effect. It is especially beneficial for anxiety when it alternates with feelings of depression.
- Ylang yang is beneficial for calming the restless mind.
There are 2 pathways for use of these essential oils, Olfaction (smell) and Dermal Application.
Olfaction is a fantastic way to use an essential oil. This in some people’s opinions this is the best way to use an essential oil because of its direct effect in the limbic system.The limbic system has a direct connection with our emotions, memory, and certain regulatory functions of the body. A couple of ways to use an essential oil via olfaction are listed here :
Inhaler tube– these are empty tubes that have a wick inside that infuses the essential oil of choice into the wick. When placed in the tube it is a great way to inhale the essential oil whenever needed. The aroma tends to be preserved for an extended amount of time.
Direct Palm inhalation– this is a way of placing a drop of essential oil into the palm of the hand and cupping the hands, then inhaling the aroma.
Diffusion-using a high quality diffuser is an effective way to get the benefits of the essential oil for longer periods of time and can help to reach other people in the room benefitting them also.
Dermal Application is a way of getting the essential oil onto the skin and having the benefits of absorption into the skin.
Massage of an essential oil using a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil is an effective way of essential oil absorption plus giving physical benefits of massage. Massage stimulates the circulation of the blood and lymph system.
Baths using epsom salts with added essential oils can be helpful for anxious feelings, helping with relaxation. Add the oils to the Epsom salts so the oils don’t float on the top of the water.
Here are some recipes using essential oils to help with anxious feelings.
Anxiety Relief/Personal inhaler
10 drops Lavender
5 drops Rose
10 drops sweet orange
Sunshine Personal inhaler
10 drops Bergamot
5 drops Lavender
10 drops Sweet Orange
Calm and Center inhaler
6 drops Neroli
4 drops Vetiver
15 drops Tangerine
Pillow Night Spray
2 fl oz of Spring water
15 drops Lavender
3 drops Vetiver
7 drops Roman Chamomile
Combine all ingredients in 2 ounce spritzer bottle. Shake prior to using. Spray pillow and sheets lightly before going to bed.
Comment bellow ways you have used essential oils to help with anxious feelings or if any of the above recipes have benefited you.