You probably think that by using strong harsh chemicals to clean is the only way to disinfect your home. I used to think that also. When I bleached my bathroom I found myself wheezing after, but to me this was the only way to clean. I thought the stronger the chemical was, the cleaner my home. Boy was I wrong about that. Cleaning with natural products is just as effective.
Chemicals in household cleaning products can be harmful or toxic. In fact, close to 100,000 children under the age of 6 are sickened by household cleaners each year. See this post by the CDC for those facts.
The environmental working group has lists of toxins used in chemicals that can impact our health such as phenol’s, diethylene glycol, formaldehyde and petroleum.
These harsh chemicals that we breathe in can cause a plethora of health problems including respiratory, circulatory problems, hormone disruption, and cancer. With enough exposure over time the toxic build up in our bodies can make us sick. The less exposure to environmental toxins the lower the toxic load, the better our bodies run.
Ditching the toxic chemicals in our home can save time, money and keep your family healthier.
Using essential oils and other natural products, are just as effective if not more effective in cleaning your home than using harsh chemicals. When I use these products, especially on counter tops where my kids may lay their food down and pick it back up to eat it, I am assured that it is not harmful to them.
Using natural products to clean toys, wash floors, clean counter tops, toilets, bath tubs, showers, any place you can think of will leave you with peace of mind that your family and pets are safe.
Need the proof that essential oils are effective cleaning agents? This study shows that essential oils are powerful cleansing agents and how effective they are against the Flu virus.
Here are some green cleaning recipes
Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- 1 gallon warm water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 drops lemon or orange essential oil
Mix water, vinegar, and oil in a large bucket or container. Mop with a dry mop or by hand with microfiber cloths. Change solution as needed.
Wood Cleaner & Polish
- 1 cup Olive, almond or fractionated coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water, distilled, or boiled and cooled
- 30 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops orange essential oil
Combine ingredients in a glass spray bottle or lidded glass container and shake well. Spray or pour on a microfiber cloth and apply to surface to clean and polish any wood surface.
Window & Mirror Cleaner
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
Add ingredients to a glass spray bottle and shake well. Spray windows or mirrors and wipe dry. Store in cool place for one to two months.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops orange or grapefruit essential oil
Combine all ingredients in container. Sprinkle on carpet or rug and let sit for 15 minutes. Vacuum thoroughly.
Carpet Stain Remover
- 4 Cups warm water, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon clear Castile soap or dish soap
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
Mix 2 cups warm water, soap, and essential oil. Soak a rag in the mixture, wring out, and gently blot the stain. Use a clean rag soaked in the remaining 2 cups warm water to remove the residue. Alternate the soap solution with the fresh water until the stain is gone. Remember to blot, not rub, to remove a carpet stain as rubbing will ruin the carpet fibers.
*Remember to use a glass or metal container for any mixtures with essential oils.*
Cleaning Counter tops and bathrooms
I have found that doTERRA On Guard cleaning concentrate works great for cleaning most things. I can’t say enough about this product because of its low-cost, it goes a long way and works fantastic! This product incorporates essential oils like Clove, Cinnamon, Wild Orange, Rosemary, and Eucalyptus to create a clean energizing scent. Here is some information from doTERRA’s product information page.
doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate Uses and Benefits
- Use doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate as a multipurpose cleanser by simply adding the cleanser to water. Mix two tablespoons of doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate per 24 ounces of water. Combine the water and concentrate to a glass spray bottle for easy application on surfaces around the home.
- In addition to pure, CPTG® essential oils, the doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate formula also includes plant-based surfactants to further improve the cleansing abilities of this product. Not only do these plant-based ingredients make for more powerful cleaning, they are also safe for the environment as well. The doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate formula also doesn’t include any preservatives, in order keep your family safe, while remaining an effective household cleanser.
- Along with cleaning surfaces like countertops and kitchen surfaces, the doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate is great for keeping bathrooms clean and sparkly. The next time you want to deep clean your bathroom, mix three tablespoons of doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate per 24 ounces of water and use on surfaces like tile, countertops, bathtubs, and showers.
- If you’ve used the doTERRA On Guard Protective Blend, or other doTERRA On Guard products before, you know how useful they can be for benefiting your family. Not only does the doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate help your home look and smell clean, but, because it is infused with the doTERRA On Guard essential oil blend, you’ll have the added benefit of protection against certain environmental factors.
- The doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate is also effective for cleaning dishes and cookware. If you want to use doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate to clean your dishes, simply mix three tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water. Place this mixture in a kitchen cupboard so you have it nearby when you want a safe, effective way to clean your dishes.
- For particularly tough or sticky jobs, you can apply doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate directly to the affected area and let it soak. Keep in mind that you should avoid direct application of doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate on hardwood floors or natural stone.
Use doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate only as directed as a household cleaner. Keep out of the reach of children.
Click HERE to order these products.